Thursday, March 29, 2012

Some Chickens Were Harmed in the Making of This Post

Taking Yvonne and Benjamin back home, then headed over to Catherine's.

Big meal day! The day Catherine had Jennifer and I over to try all kinds of things that I haven't been able to try here yet. So out we went to get the food and things we needed.
Cooking oil, very important to life over here.

This is what I do, follow follow follow. :)

Not like home... :P (:

Buying meat

Catherine picking out some Bream.


Strange place to see money from all over the world. But pretty cool.





They look a little cold


How to bag a chicken

And there you have it, chicken in a bag!

Jennifer's short lived new pet!

Dried Siavonga. Fish.

And everyone says I make a lot of faces! =]

Enjoy the rest of your short lives girls


Trying to bag a live chicken doesn't always work so well as it would seem.
Killing a chicken for Mercy is as easy as
One...
Two...
Three

With a little blood on her knee. And it was all over, just like that.
My turn. (I'm a little more dramatic then Mercy.)

How to hold a chicken when killing it
While I was waiting for the knife I had time to give the the chicken some parting words. I was petting it's head and giving it words of comfort. And Jennifer was saying, "No, don't talk to it! Don't give it a name! You wont be able to kill it then!" As she said that, I started saying, "It's ok Bob, you lived a good life. I'll try to make it fast, and enjoy you as much as I can."
Where to cut

"I'm sorry Bob"
No Blood on me, yay!

White girl killing a chicken draws quite the crowd! :)

My Cheer leaders

I did it, and the Chicken died with comforting words and a name.

Fred, you were a good Chicken.


Waiting
Hanging
Plucking






Me with the head of Fred. (Yeah, they eat the head, and the feet and the insides and...;)

Cutting

The insides of Bob and Fred.
Food cooking.

Nice car. =]
Melody with her ice cream. :)




Papaya Trees


Showing Catherine some things on my laptop.


Splitting everything up.

Chillin' out


"Helping out" Ha! They are way better and Way faster! :)

It's not even as easy as it looks.

And Catherine takes over and makes it look like cake batter!

Me waiting

All the many things we were about to try.
Getting ready to pray.

Catherine telling me what everything is.

Taking lids off

With so many things to try, I just took a very little bit of each thing. And I was still VERY full in the end!

Kapenta. (I put it in my mouth and pretended it was a chip. That seemed to work pretty well for me to get the thought out of my head that I had just stuck a whole fish in my mouth.) The Siavonga was a little more fishy though, and wasn't fried. So that was a little harder to handel. But the Bream was very nice. It was almost like eating Chicken. Aslo, it reminded me more of what we had in the Phillippins.


Catherine enjoying her food.

Me showing off my fish, and Jennifer doing... I don't really know what she's doing. :)

Laughing
Ha!

6 comments:

Cyndy713 said...

The picture of you with the head of Fred...looks just like Jessica!

Hannah said...

I thought the chicken's name was Bob?? Also, wasn't it a girl... :P

Funny pics, Bethany! Jen, you crack me up with your faces!! :)

BSBT said...

Who looks like Jesscia? Me or Fred?
;)

Hop, there were two chickens, Mercy killed Fred, I killed Bob.
:)

Karla said...

You are very adventurous Bethany! I don't think I could kill a chicken by hand like that. Looks like you guys are having a blast!!

Megs said...

wow. bsbt, ive seen you do a lot of things, but i never thought id see you killing a chicken. =]

Anonymous said...

Wow, I `m impressed, Bethany! You killed a chicken and took part in processing if you were used to do this every day! The Pictures of killing are very funny, my favorite is the one with you holding the chicken s head...It `s nice to see your smile, your confidence and your laughing on the images!! You just did it!!! Thank you very much for this fantastic post!!!